The teachers, staff, and students appreciate every volunteer! Whether you are in the classroom once a week, once a year, or even if you can only help at home. Before you donate your time to support the education of our INDY Eagles, please read through our Volunteer Code of Conduct to ensure we adhere to all school, district, and state guidelines and create the safest and most supportive learning environment possible.
Volunteer Opportunities: Click on this link to see any and every opportunity to donate time to the school and/or PTA. Opportunities range from Front Office Support to PTA Event Coordinators.
Get More information on committees and organizations that support Independent. Feel free to attend one or all of the meetings:
- School Site Council (SSC): The school site council (SSC) is an elected group of parents, teachers and additional school employees. The primary goal of the SSC is to work with the principal to develop, recommend for approval, monitor, evaluate, and update the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA). The School Site Council as sub-committees that you can also participate on such as the School Safety Team and the Arts Committee.
- Parent-Teacher Association (PTA): The Independent Elementary PTA is an active organization of parents, teachers, and community members who support each other through educational, social, and fundraising event. Click on the link to learn more.
- English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC): The purpose of the ELAC is to advise the principal and school staff on programs and services for English learners. The committee advises (reviews and comments) on at least the following:
- Advise the principal and school staff on the school’s program for English Learners.
- Participate in the school’s needs assessment of students, parents, and teachers.
- Advise the school on the annual language census (R-30).
- Advise the School Site Council on the development of the Single Plan for Student Achievement.
- Provide input on the most effective ways to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
- Identify parent representatives to DELAC
- District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC): The District has established a functioning District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC) to advise on programs and services for all EL students in the district. Responsibilities and roles are similar to the ELAC but on a larger level.